Date:      Wed, 10 Feb 1999 17:35:55 +0100 (CET)
From:      Philippe CASIDY <pcasidy@worldnet.fr>
To:        gjb@comkey.com.au
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mounting CDROM (or removable media) by users

On 10 Feb, Greg Black wrote:
>> My question was more about why it is not possible than how to solve
>> this.
>
> Forgive me for failing to understand that you didn't want to
> solve the problem you were complaining about.

My mistake not being clear on the first time.

>> To solve this, I have read about sudo tools and there maybe a
>> possibility with amd.
>> But what is the reason about this behavior? As I said, under Debian
>> Linux, you just have to add the option 'user' in the fstab file. Why no
>> such options under FreeBSD? Anyway, I found the solution with sudo more
>> flexible but I am just curious to know what is the reason about not
>> being able to do this directly with the system. ;-)
>
> This is like complaining that `ls' is not spelled `dir' since
> that's what you were used to with MSDOS.  If you prefer a system
> that does things differently, why not use that system?  If you'd
> prefer to see FreeBSD do something differently, why not spend an
> hour or two to develop the feature that you want and submit it
> to the FreeBSD core team for possible integration in a future
> release?

You example is not very revelant because you are comparing two
different system and it is very easy to find a workaround.
Anyway, I like the sudo feature because as far as I understand, you can
easily choose who can or cannot mount a device.

I just want to know what is the technical reason why by default, only
root can mount the cdrom.

Thanks anyway

Phil.