Date:      Wed, 14 Mar 2007 20:09:13 -0400
From:      Joe Auty <joe@netmusician.org>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: LIRC guide for FreeBSD

Hi Anton,

Could you do me a quick favor, and read my last post in this thread and
in light of my setup, tell me whether what you wrote (quoted below)
applies to me? If so, I have follow up questions...

I don't mean this in a confrontational way at all, I just want to feel
comfortable in knowing the score and having a handle over what my
problem is and what I need to accomplish. Throwing the issue of remotes
into the mix is making me less confident in my understanding, because I
had believed that this isn't a concern for me.

For your convenience, and possibly to illuminate further, here is my setup:

Satellite signal -> Satellite box -> Hauppauge card -> MediaMVP (via
Ethernet) run off of the MVPMC hack (http://mvpmc.org) that provides a
Mythfrontend for the MediaMVP box which communicates with my Myth
backend hosted on FreeBSD -> TV

All of this is working fine, but in order for me to be able to change
channels with my FreeBSD box, I need an IR Blaster to simulate my
satellite remote control. I'm trying to use LIRC as a means for my
FreeBSD box to communicate with my IR Blaster to send the proper signals
to my satellite box.

This basically seems to amount to:

1) Getting LIRC installed
2) Finding a configuration file that contains the appropriate specs to
simulate my remote/satellite box (there are a ton of sample
configurations that can be downloaded, which I did)
3) Using LIRC to control/send signals to the IR Blaster

Where I'm at is that I've created my lircd.conf file with the
information about my satellite box, I have lirc installed from ports
(default build options), and I'm trying to get LIRC communicating with
my IR Blaster. I don't seem to have it installed correctly, and I'm at a
loss to know where to turn to for help, I can't find much online.

I'm able to do this:

# lircd -n --device=/dev/ttyd0 /usr/local/etc/lircd.conf
lircd: lircd(dvico) ready

I'm not really sure what this feedback means though, nor do I know what
path the socket is written to.

Is this clear and/or helpful?

--
Joe Auty
NetMusician: web publishing software for musicians