Date:      Tue, 18 Sep 2001 14:50:06 -0400
From:      dochawk@psu.edu
To:        swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
Cc:        "Brian T.Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>, Fergus Cameron <cameron@argus-systems.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: i dont unsterstand the disk label maker

gary gyrated,

> Anyone know the history of IBM-PC hard disk partitions?   What this scheme
> developed by IBM for their BIOS or by M$ for their M$-M$DOS and IBM-PCDOS,
> or can we fairly call it a true conspiracy by both (to give people grief
> well into the 21st Century)?

In a nutshell, there were four OS choices available: CP/M, PC-DOS,
p-system (Pascal), and something else I've long forgotten.  Why would
you need more than 4 partitions :)

hakw

--
rm -rf /bin/laden  Prof. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.  /"\   ASCII ribbon campaign
dochawk@psu.edu  Smeal 178  (814) 375-4700         \ /   against HTML mail