Date:      Thu, 16 Nov 2000 15:17:00 +0100
From:      "Karel J. Bosschaart" <karelj@wop21.wop.wtb.tue.nl>
To:        Nick Barnes <Nick.Barnes@pobox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Utah-GLX on Matrox G400 using DMA ??

On Thu, Nov 16, 2000 at 02:04:30PM +0000, Nick Barnes wrote:
> I have a new machine running 4.1-RELEASE and Utah-GLX.
>
> When I start X, bI get this glx.log.  Note the "Device not configured"
> message.  It's the same when I try to open /dev/agpgart manually
> (e.g. cat /dev/agpgart > /dev/null gives "Device not configured").
>
> The Mesa demos run OK; much faster than without Utah-GLX.  But as I
> understand it, this agpgart failure means I am using PseudoDMA only,
> which slows down the card and prevents direct rendering.
>
> Any ideas?  I've studied the LINT configuration file and sys/pci/agp.c
> but without success.

Do you have the agp module loaded? I load it at startup with agp_load="YES"
in /boot/loader.conf. Then I did 'sh MAKEDEV agpgart' in /dev.

However, when I start X I'm getting a DMA timeout, and a black screen.
I need to reset via a remote login (actually a reboot to get the G400 back
in order).

I mailed to this list couple of days ago with a more extensive description.
Alexander N. Kabaev <ak03@gte.com> reported that he has the same DMA timeout
on another AGP chipset than what I have.

I don't have a solution (yet?) :-(.

Karel.