Date:      Wed, 5 Mar 2003 18:46:39 -0600
From:      David Leimbach <leimy2k@mac.com>
To:        Christopher Fowler <cfowler@outpostsentinel.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IP over IEEE1394?

On Wednesday, March 5, 2003, at 10:13 AM, Christopher Fowler wrote:

> If toy are using PVM or similar technologies, would'nt the best route
> be to pick a transport that is the fastest.  Last thing you want is
> messages to be bogged down in transport.

Assuming you can afford the hundreds of thousands of dollars to purchase
such a good transport sure :).

Personally I don't think people should purchase clusters but they should
purchase cluster time on a well configured server like a utility.

IBM seems to believe this is true also.

> I would stay away from message passing over slow links.  You could use
> the firewall for heartbeat.

People do clustering with fast ethernet all the time. ... I know
because we sell
a lot of it where I work :).  Gigabit ethernet is better but switches
are costly.

Dave