Date:      Thu, 25 Sep 2008 10:00:25 -0500
From:      Martin McCormick <martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu>
To:        Boris Samorodov <bsam@ipt.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Wrong Build Environment

One of many greatly appreciated suggestions Boris Samorodov wrote:

> % grep <filename> /var/db/pkg/p5-*/+CONTENTS

	While looking in that directory, I noticed the good
system had net-snmp-5.2.2_1

	The broken system had had the wrong version of net-snmp
earlier in the week but  I remember doing a deinstall which left
no net-snmp distribution at all, possibly the problem.

	The broken system is newer and the net-snmp5x port there
is net-snmp5.3x so I installed that. It did lots of things to
perl5.8 but when done, I still had the same problem of wrong
files in /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8.

	The make all-depends-list output from both systems was
identical.

	Finally, more out of frustration than logical procedure,
I got an un-updated port of mrtg whose Makefile was dated in
2007. Next, I went to the broken system and for the
ten-thousandth time, did make deinstall. A ls -l of
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8 verified that mrtg-related
files were gone.

	I then did rm -r on the mrtg port I had been building
with and un-tar'd the older mrtg port.

	make install ran and low and behold, the 5.8 directory
in /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl now had the proper list of
files.

	I then put back the newer port of mrtg whose Makefile is
dated in June, did a make deinstall and make install cycle and
expected to see the problem again. Instead, the perl library
changes, most likely based upon the installation of the proper
net-snmp package survived and all now appears to be well.

Thanks to everybody who helped. This was one of the most
puzzling UNIX trouble-shooting adventures I have been on in
years.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer