Date:      Sun, 20 Aug 1995 20:42:41 +0800 (CST)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw>
To:        David Kleiner <kleiner@panix.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A `hostname` question

On Fri, 18 Aug 1995, David Kleiner wrote:

> Here is a quick question: is there any way to distinguish a hostname
> by an interface, like with a Sun box? That is, to have on lo0 anything
> but a 'localhost', or something else, in addition to localhost, and on
> tun0/ppp0/sl0 the hostname assigned by an ISP? Now, I don't know why
> anyone would do that to a poor box, yet...

    The easy way out is to simply name your interfaces by IP address
in your /etc/hosts file, and make sure the "hosts" option comes before
"bind" in /etc/resolv.conf.  For example:

127.0.0.1		localhost barney.nsa.gov

    ... in my /etc/hosts allows me to do this:

# ping -q barney.nsa.gov
PING localhost (127.0.0.1): 56 data bytes
^C
--- localhost ping statistics ---
round-trip min/avg/max = 0.466/0.513/0.588 ms

:)

taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw <-- work ........ play --> taob@io.org