Date:      Wed, 7 May 2003 16:55:14 +0200
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz>
To:        Adam <blueeskimo@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: restricting users login

# blueeskimo@gmx.net / 2003-05-07 01:05:21 -0400:
> On Wed, 2003-05-07 at 00:58, Brandon Hagedorn wrote:
> > Is there a way I can restrict user's login in ftp, and shell access.  I
> > want to restrict users to only login from a certain IP range.  Is this
> > possible? and if so could you direct me in the right direction(websites,
> > man pages)
>
> Most FTPd allow IP restrictions per login (I know PureFTPd does). For
> SSH, I think the only way to restrict IP's is by firewall, but thats per
> port, not per login.

    actually, ssh has means of limiting certain users to certain hosts.

    sshd_config(5):

     AllowUsers
             This keyword can be followed by a list of user name patterns,
             separated by spaces.  If specified, login is allowed only for
             users names that match one of the patterns.  `*' and `'?  can be
             used as wildcards in the patterns.  Only user names are valid; a
             numerical user ID is not recognized.  By default, login is
             allowed for all users.  If the pattern takes the form USER@HOST
             then USER and HOST are separately checked, restricting logins to
             particular users from particular hosts.