Date:      Tue, 21 Aug 2001 23:27:19 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Marc Rassbach <marc@milestonerdl.com>
To:        Darryl Okahata <darrylo@soco.agilent.com>
Cc:        Hodge Podge <nicole@unixgirl.com>, Michael VanLoon <MichaelV@EDIFECS.COM>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3ware stuff not ready for heavy duty useage-followup

On Tue, 21 Aug 2001, Darryl Okahata wrote:
Let me tell you all a story about a SCSI III RAID array.....

>      Your points seem to be:

And this is why I decided to submit my 2 coppers.

It was a kingston 9 bay tower (black).  Mylex card.  Quantum Drives.

Called Tech Data (supplier) Mylex and Quantum.  All agreed the $30K of
parts would work together.

> "Vendors sell it this way.  It must be good."

Yes... YET Kingston sold a SCSI III box with ONE SCSI cable 2.5 meters
long.  (Hint:  6 per 1.5 meter chain is pushing a non LVD SCSI III.  Got
to learn that the hard way)  No way in hell what I was sold was going to
work.

Reminder 1#:  Unless you know actual non-sales people who have a version
of what you are thinking of running, or you have run it in the past, best
to go with the idea NONE of it will work.  That way, you don't wear egg on
your face, AND you look good when it does work.   Hard to quote jobs with
that attitude, but under promise and over-deliver is always a good MO.

> "It works for others."

Yes...same argument used for the Kingston tower AND the Quantum drives.

Turns out the Quantums were vers 4 of the EEPROM and its broke.

To REALLY figure out what is going on, you need REAL data.  Your employer
won't pay for you to play Qualtiy Control Engineer.  That brings me to
reminder #2:  Always quote the 'known working solution' IE the high end
solution where it is someone elses problem.  That way, if they opt to
choose the lower end solution, you have the out of 'You should have picked
the higher end version if you wanted this to work'.  Life is full of
compermises.

At this point, without good technical data of what/how the harddrives were
handled, the power supply, the quality of the AC line, etc la, this thread
is generating heat to keep one warm, but not alot of information.  For all
any of us know *ONE* gate deep in the 3ware is dead, causing the
problem.  (Had a SCO PC involved with a building lighting hit.  Any
mulitport serial card at 330 would fail.  Move the cards to antoher
machine at 330, it would work.  Move the card to 360, and it would start
working.  Somewhere, a gate was dead on that machine.....)  OR, the hard
drive was abuse by a shipper.  OR......