Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 1996 13:00:36 -0700
From:      Ernest Hua <hua@chromatic.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        hua@chromatic.com, kientzle@netcom.com, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linux async vs. FreeBSD sync (fwd)

> > I've been using a private scheme doing precisely the same thing
> > (each application version to its own directory).  This has the
> > enormous advantage of being able to upgrade/downgrade a single
> > application in a snap.
>
> I don't understand completely why you'd do this.  If you want ispell in
> /usr/local/app/ispell/bin, then do the ports make as:
> make PREFIX=/usr/local/app/ispell
> and it would install there, unless it was an X11 application.  The X11
> apps will probably do that too in a little while (watch this space!)

I have not been using ports yet, but I just finally finished setting up
a local archive for Chromatic internal use, so it will be a lot easier.

> Of course, your path statement would look like hell.

Nope.  It will just be /usr/local/bin because, like the original
suggestion, I also symbolic link everything into /usr/local/bin (as well
as /usr/local/include, /usr/local/lib, /usr/local/lib/app-defaults, ...).

Ern