Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2000 14:21:06 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.runet.edu>
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: is BSD slower?

Hi,

On Wed, 22 Mar 2000, j mckitrick wrote:

> Has anyone comapred the preceived speed of the following under FreeBSD
> and Linux?

[snipped the X and various window managers list]

No, but let me venture a guess... Is he running into swap (is he also say
running Netscape or some other memory hog)?  Is the video what is
perceived to be slow or just general performance?  Did he have softupdates
enabled?

> I'm trying to explain to a pal who tried BSD recently why this might
> be.  He also had problems with running netscape w/o a.out X binaries

This is documented somewhere (don't recall where now).  And he needs the X
libraries, not binaries.  :-)

> And he also said he had to reboot to use newly installed libraries,
> that ldconfig did not work.

First - was he using ports or doing things manually?  If manually, does he
realize that in Linux just typing "ldconfig" will rescan the specified
directories and in FreeBSD you need to either use -R (to reread) or -m to
merge?

If he's using the ports, this just works (at least it always has for me
barring a screw up on my part a couple years ago w/ I believe gtk).

> He just felt it reminded him too much of Xenix times, w/o bells and
> whistles.

Well, the BSD tools certainly have fewer

	--some_silly_switch_to_some_gnu_tool

options, but that is a good thing IMO.

Can't say much more unless we know in detail what the perceived slow down
was.

Brett
Dr. Brett Taylor         brett@peloton.runet.edu    *
Dept of Chem and Physics			    *
Curie 39A	(540) 831-6147                      *
Dept. of Mathematics and Statistics		    *
Walker 234	(540) 831-5410			    *