Date:      Sun, 11 Aug 2013 22:47:36 +1000 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        Walter Hurry <walterhurry@gmail.com>
Cc:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 9.2-RC1: Problem with Kernel

In freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 479, Issue 8, Message: 10
On Sun, 11 Aug 2013 09:43:57 +0000 (UTC) Walter Hurry <walterhurry@gmail.com> wrote:
 > On Sat, 10 Aug 2013 21:29:10 +0200, Polytropon wrote:
 >
 > > On Sat, 10 Aug 2013 19:04:29 +0000 (UTC), Walter Hurry wrote:
 > >> This is 9.2-RC1 on amd64 (upgraded from 9.2-BETA1 by refetching the
 > >> source from releng/9.2 and rebuilding kernel and world).
 > >>
 > >> The kernel compiles and runs fine using the supplied GENERIC, but when
 > >> I try to use my custom kenel config file, on reboot I get this:
 > >>
 > >> Mounting from ufs:/dev/ada0p2 failed with error 19
 > >>
 > >> What module(s) have I missed?
 > >
 > > Diff against the GENERIC kernel. Maybe "device xhci"?
 > > What bootable media is listed when you type "?" at the mountroot prompt?
 > > If GENERIC boots and your kernel doesn't, there should be a significant
 > > difference regarding the config file's content. :-)
 >
 > Thanks for the reply. When I type "?" at the mountroot prompt I get:
 >
 > List of GEOM managed disk devices:
 >
 > with nothing shown.
 >
 > After restoring the GENERIC kernel, the output from 'gpart list' is:
 >
 > Geom name: ada0
[..]
 > Consumers:
 > 1. Name: ada0
 >    Mediasize: 21474836480 (20G)
 >    Sectorsize: 512
 >    Mode: r2w2e3
 >
 > (This is a small VirtualBox VM.)
 >
 > Kernel config is at http://paste2.org/h17Ih0PD

Please Walter, it's not fair to make us do the work of figuring out what
you've changed from GENERIC in that, when all you need to provide is:

# diff -uw /path/to/GENERIC /path/to/YOURKERNEL

More ideal for custom kernel configs - for just these occasions - is:

include GENERIC
ident YOURKERNEL
# custom {no,}device and {no,}options statements

cheers, Ian