Date:      Sun, 17 Mar 2002 16:48:24 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Hiten Pandya <hitmaster2k@yahoo.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, cvs-all@FreeBSD.ORG, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.ORG, tanimura@r.dl.itc.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/kern kern_mtxpool.c src/sys/sys kernel.h src/sys/vm vm_fault.c vm_glue.c vm_map.c vm_map.h vm_pageout.c vm_zone.c

:
:Hi,
:
:Sorry to unwantedly butt in, but the patch supplied by Seigo actually
:solved the vm_map.c locking problems which used to come up on my system.
:Just some info. :)
:
:Regards,
:
:  -- Hiten Pandya
:  -- <hiten@uk.FreeBSD.org>

    It fixed some things, it broke some things.  Pretty much standard
    fare for anyone who has ever done work on the vm_map lock, including
    yours truely.  John Dyson couldn't get it right, David Greenman couldn't
    get it right, I couldn't get it completely right... getting it to do
    the right thing even under -stable is difficult, which is why I am
    suggesting that it simply be made into an exclusive lock in -current.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>

:--- Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com> wrote:
:>     I have no idea what the frig you guys are doing in vm_map.c.  I would
:>     recommend that all the changes be backed out.  Then I would recommend
:>     that the following be done:
:>
:> 	* change the lockmgr vm_map lock to be exclusive-only
:> 	* test & commit
:> 	* change the lockmgr vm_map lock to an exclusive SX lock
:> 	* test & commit
:> 	* Then work on re-optimizing the vm_map locks
:>
:>     You guys are trying to bite off too much all at once.