Date:      Sun, 20 Oct 2002 22:18:57 +0200
From:      Francois Kritzinger <ffkrz@iafrica.com>
To:        Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mouse started with missing options (rc.conf)

On Sun, 20 Oct 2002 20:02:02 +0200
Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz> wrote:

> # ffkrz@iafrica.com / 2002-10-20 19:20:14 +0200:
> > FreeBSD noya 4.7-STABLE FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE #0: Sat Oct 19 09:34:51 SAST 2002 root@noya:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/NOYA  i386
> >
> > This is what I have in /etc/rc.conf:
> >
> > 	moused_enable="YES"
> > 	moused_type="auto"
> > 	moused_port="/dev/ums0"
> > 	moused_flags="-z 4"
> >
> > Despite this, moused does NOT want to start with "-z 4" at boot time.
> > I have tried swapping the order of the above lines around.
>

>     hmm... anything suspicious in /var/log/messages?

Not really... Only thing I can think of is a message I see at boot time
that says something like "moused: unable to open device /etc/ums0:
device not ready/device is busy" or something like that, but that was only
after I put the 'moused_port' entry into rc.conf. Before that I used to
get "moused: unable to open device /dev/psm0: device not configured".
But even then (pre-moused_port) moused wouldn't start with -z 4.

>     roman@freepuppy ~ 1001:0 > grep moused /etc/rc.conf
>     moused_port="/dev/psm0"
>     moused_type="auto"
>     moused_enable="YES"
>     moused_flags="-a 1.5"
>     roman@freepuppy ~ 1002:0 > ps auxww|grep moused
>     root       161  0.0  0.2   916  556  ??  Ss    7:02PM   0:00.68 moused -a 1.5 -p /dev/psm0 -t auto
>
>     try running moused by hand, perhaps you'll get some additional info:
>
>     % su
>     # killall moused
>     # moused -p /dev/ums0 -z 4 auto

That's what I've been doing in order to get things to work the way I want. If I run moused
by hand everything is rosy.