Date:      Wed, 12 Oct 2016 13:37:21 -0700
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian.chadd@gmail.com>
To:        "J.R. Oldroyd" <fbsd@opal.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org" <freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Regression: ethernet + wireless/ath under lagg

On 12 October 2016 at 12:32, J.R. Oldroyd <fbsd@opal.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Oct 2016 09:08:20 -0700 Adrian Chadd <adrian.chadd@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> hiya,
>>
>> there should be a way to create a vap with a specific mac address upon
>> creation time. Sorry, doing lagg+wlan is not something we've been
>> collectively using. :(
>>
>> Thanks,
>>

>> -adrian
>>

> PR#213207 appears to be discussing this same problem.
>
> I am truly amazed that this "is not something we've been collectively
> using"!  Here, we have all of Macs, Windows, Linux for which this
> "just works" and it also worked fine (with the config I posted
> earlier) on 9.x and 10.x.  Your bog-standard, cheapo Linksys/Netgear/
> whatever, bridge their wireless network to their wired ports, and it
> is common practice here to be using wireless and then to later plug
> into a wired port on those routers and have connections continue
> seamlessly.

Sure, but the set of wifi developers and set of wifi users is as big
as the smallest set, and the set of wifi developers is like what, 3?
4?

None of us were bitten by this because I don't think any of the wifi
developers (me included) use lagg and failover.

> A way of determining the ath's MAC address so it can be used to set
> the re's MAC, or a way of setting the ath's MAC address prior to wlan
> creation is needed in 11.x.

Andriy has proposed one way, which I like. We'd just have to do that
method for all wifi drivers, as well as making sure drivers can fail
the VAP creation if a MAC is again requested and the device doesn't
support it.

-a