Date:      Wed, 29 Aug 2007 20:08:37 -0700
From:      Garrett Cooper <youshi10@u.washington.edu>
To:        Steve Bertrand <iaccounts@ibctech.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OT: Workgroup not available. The network name cannot be found. on	Windows 2000 Pro SP4

Steve Bertrand wrote:
>> What is the "correct" procedure for recovering from
>> this mishap? TIA! :-)
>>

> - download FreeBSD disk-1 from freebsd.org
> - insert CD into drive, and install :)
>
> Seriously..
>
> It's been a while since I've actually managed a Windows network per-se,
> but from what I recall, you can change the workgroup to something else
> (then reboot), then re-assign the PC to the proper workgroup (then
> reboot again), it may fix it. AFAIR, you can do this by right-clicking
> on My Computer, and changing the computers identity or name.
>
> If that doesn't work, then ensure that Norton or some other so called
> 'firewall' or 'security suite' isn't blocking outbound traffic via the
> NetBIOS protocol ports:
>
> # grep -i netbios /etc/services
>
> netbios-ns      137/tcp    #NETBIOS Name Service
> netbios-ns      137/udp    #NETBIOS Name Service
> netbios-dgm     138/tcp    #NETBIOS Datagram Service
> netbios-dgm     138/udp    #NETBIOS Datagram Service
> netbios-ssn     139/tcp    #NETBIOS Session Service
> netbios-ssn     139/udp    #NETBIOS Session Service
>
> Also, port 445 TCP and UDP may come into play here.
>
> Interesting though that inbound is allowed/working but outbound is fudged.
>
> Is this PC on a win2k Domain? Is there anything in the 'logs' (stated
> very loosely) in the Event Viewer on the remote/local hosts?
>
> Steve

    He hosed something with the network configuration.

    *digs out old Windows tech support knowledge*

1. Executing: 'netsh int ip reset log' from Start->Run will clean reset
the TCP/IP stack (it helps, on occasion).
2. Uninstalling / reinstalling 'Client for Microsoft Networks' and 'File
and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks' may be a good bet if
something's corrupted.
3. Adjusting 3rd party firewall rules to not block ports 137-139 and 445
(both TCP/UDP connection types) should eliminate the problem, if any do
exist.

    And when all else fails.. backup and reinstall (typically this is
less time consuming than root-cause debugging the problem). With an OS
that age, your client really should be using XP anyhow if he/she can
help it, because of the fact that it's not supported by M$ anymore.

Cheers,
-Garrett