Date:      Wed, 20 Feb 2008 13:25:18 -0700
From:      Predrag Punosevac <punosevac@math.arizona.edu>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
Subject:   Re: DJ500 dead after >= 16 years.

David Kelly wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 12:02:25AM -0800, Gary Kline wrote:
>
>> 	Nutshell, I'd like anyone's ideas/experiences with some of these
>> 	new HP/<<< or whateverbrand>>> printers. I wouldn't *mind* if I
>> 	could scan in text from a techy paper into HTML or PDF or text.
>> 	But mostly, like 99.44%  plain black text.  My old deskjet used
>> 	gs as a filter to print PostScript.  Do we have any such plugin
>> 	support, or are printers still roll-your-own?  [FWIW, I can't
>> 	seem to get CUPS working...  altho it maay be my misssing
>> 	/dev/lpt0.]

Why don't you check http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/OpenPrinting for
the most comprehensive information available.

Just couple a comments. I would keep native LPD spooling system instead
installing CUPS unless you need to use something
like HPLIP drivers. To stay on the same note, you should ask yourself
firstly what is printer for.
If you are doing intensive black and white document printing like in an
academic environment Laser Printers will give you the greatest millage
and cost per copy ratio. In that case you should definitely try to
buy a printer that speaks Post Script language and avoid any drivers.
The mentioned Brother HL series is wonderful.
I have just good words for Lexmark Optra series. HP Laser jet above the
1300 do speak full Post Script. Always a good decision. Be careful with
HP 1000-1200 they might be problematic as they do not even speak PCL.
See above link for the full explanation.

If you are using printing at home and need occasional color printing I
would suggest you go with the HP deskjet/officejest  or even better with
all-in-one device. HPLIP http://hplip.sourceforge.net/ will unlock full
functionality of all-in-one devices including scanning via hpaio scanner
drivers included in HPLIP.

There are couple Epson all-in-one devices that are fully supported with
Gutenprint for the printer driver and sane-backhands for the printing.
Something like CX-3800 or similar. Check the SANE web-site for full
list. Note that SANE has released new
backhands two weeks ago and I am not sure if the FreeBSD port has been
updated to 1.19 version.

If you decide that you do NOT need scanner stick with the printer that
speak full PCL and which are listed in the foomatic-db or/and ghostscript.

Personally, I have HP laser jet 4L. Speaks PCL and listed in foomatic-db.
I have Office Jet R60 all-in-one  speaks PCL and listed in foomatic
-db.  In  order  to unlock scanning it has to be attached
separately to network as HPLIP doesn't support parallel port devices
despite their claims that they do. It does but over the network.
Photosmart C5250 all-in-one. This is my wife printer for her photos but
is also a scanner and copier. Full functionality unlocked with HPLIP
drivers.

I hope that this helps

Predrag

P. S. You may also check the following couple articles.

How to edit printcap file and use foomatic filter

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2004/07/08/FreeBSD_Basics.html?page=1

How to use apsfilter

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2003/11/06/Big_Scary_Daemons.html

How to use ghostscript as a input filter and lots of other goodies by
our own Ted

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/corp-net-guide/index.html

How to set up HPLIP on FreeBSD
http://dsteinbrook.googlepages.com/hpliponfreebsd

Note that the Handbook is more than enough to set up Post Script
printer. You may also want to read man pages
for printcap. Nice info.
If you