Date:      Fri, 1 Jan 1999 14:17:26 -0800 (PST)
From:      patl@phoenix.volant.org
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, test@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP:  Postfix is coming... Alternate plan

> On Wed, Dec 30, 1998 at 03:57:08AM -0800, Jonathan M. Bresler wrote:
> >      Starting later today, I will import Postfix (aka VMailer
> >      aka SecureMailer from IBM) into the tree under /usr/src/contrib.
> >      Postfix was written by Wietse Venema (tcp_wrappers, satan, etc).
>
> Probably a stupid question, but why not pull Sendmail *out* of the tree,
> and then create a Sendmail and a PostFix port instead?

Hear, hear!

That sounds like a -much- better solution.  Then the installation
could be modified to allow the installer the choice of no MTA,
Sendmail, Postfix, Exim, QMail, or any other mailer included in
the ports distribuition.

This makes it easier to add new choices; still serves to de-emphasize
Sendmail; and makes it trivial to change the default choice at some
point in the future with minimal impact on the installed user base.

-Pat