Date:      Thu, 1 Apr 1999 00:27:48 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        jerryr@ComCAT.COM (Jerry Raynor)
Cc:        cjclark@home.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: not getting mail

Jerry Raynor wrote,
> Nothing has changed that pertains to mail, nothin I know of!  I can telnet
> to port 25, I don't know what to do at that point but I get telnet to that
> port from the outside.

You should get something like,

$ telnet localhost 25
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 mymachine.mydomain.com ESMTP Sendmail 8.8.8/8.8.8; Thu, 1 Apr 1999 00:24:32 -0500 (EST)

This just shows sendmail is listening for connections. If you are not
getting mail, and not getting errors, most likely, no mail
connections are ever finding their way to your machine.

> I also have gotten this error message returned
> when trying to deliver to my server from the outside.  Although this
> message may say other wise I don't think its a DNS issue.  All my webs are
> up...  Thanks for your help.

> <user@mydomain.com>... Deferred: Name server: mydomain.com.: host name
> lookup failure
> Message could not be delivered for 3 days
> Message will be deleted from queue

Why do you not think it is a DNS issue? That's exactly what the error
looks like. I mean, 'host name lookup failure?' What does the MX
record for your domain say?