Date:      Thu, 25 Jun 1998 08:42:59 +1000
From:      Robert Chalmers <robert@chalmers.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Still trying to determine why ppp fails to reconnect - with error

I'm still trying to determine why ppp will fail to reconnect, giving the error
message about being unable to uu_unlock /usr/run/cuaa0.if

If taken out the tun0 lines from the sysconfig, and restart it now using
.../rc.d/ppp.sh,
so I'll see how that goes.

I notice also that there is both cuaa1.if and cuaa0.if in /usr/run, and both
contain the word 'tun0' if thats any clue.

I don't know if putting start up back into rc.d, and deleting the ifconfig
stuff in sysconfig will make a difference, but I'll see tomorrow when the line
drops out a t 5am again!!! and leaves me disconnected for two hours.

It's that inability to 'uu_unlock' that jams up the process.

I can not find anyting that is starting multiple processes on tun0, and nothing
shows up out of the ordinary with 'ifconfig tun0'.

What should the permissions and owner.groups be on the entire ppp and related
files? Perhaps thats it?

any ideas anyone?

bob

--
Support Whirled Peas.      Business in China?          China House
robert@chalmers.com.au ph:61 7 49440357 fx:61 7 49578425 #11252938