Date:      02 Jan 2001 15:19:01 -0500
From:      Randell Jesup <rjesup@wgate.com>
To:        chris@calldei.com
Cc:        Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: add -I ignoremask option to du(1)

Chris Costello <chris@calldei.com> writes:
>On Saturday, December 30, 2000, Peter Pentchev wrote:
>> This doesn't 1. exclude subdirectories; 2. provide per-directory stats.
>> In no way does it solve the problem I mentioned in the part you quoted -
>> excluding CVS/ subdirs from du output on a source tree.
>
>   Sorry.  Try:
>
>find . -maxdepth 1 \! \( -path '*CVS*' \) | xargs du -skc

        Nope.  First, this considers files to be the same as directories.
Second, this only excludes CVS directories from the top level - deeper CVS
directories are included.

        Suffice it to say this series of attempts indicates that find/etc is
NOT a reasonable(*) way to implement this (reasonable) request.

        Add the argument to du(1).

        Randell

(*): since no one here in what should be one of the most experienced group
of BSD hackers has posted a workable "unix-style" method, I conclude
that it's either not possible, or at least is so non-obvious as to be
effectively non-existant to any but the most experienced user.

That's the problem with the old-school Unix philosophy of no program doing
more than one thing, and stringing them together - the "stringing them
together" part often ends up being as complicated a task as programming a
solution into the program itself - or even more complicated.  That's ok
(sort of) if everyone using it is a programmer, and doesn't mind
reinventing the wheel every few days.  It's not ok for 99% of users.

Sure, shell's are programming languages - but I don't really want to write
a program just to find out how much disk space I'm using, or to sort the
output of ls (another old argument), etc.

ps. yes, I am a shell-script hacker to a degree, and have written shells,
and used shells in all sorts of evil ways - but I don't want to tell
everyone else to try to do that.

--
Randell Jesup, Worldgate Communications, ex-Scala, ex-Amiga OS team ('88-94)
rjesup@wgate.com