Date:      Thu, 1 Nov 2001 21:54:48 +0100 (CET)
From:      Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Paul Robinson <paul@akita.co.uk>, "Andrew C. Hornback" <achornback@worldnet.att.net>, <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>, <advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: NatWest? no thanks

On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Brett Glass wrote:

> At 12:10 PM 11/1/2001, Nils Holland wrote:
>
> >Speaking neither for the FreeBSD Project, nor for the OSS movement, I'd
> >really like to ask if we really *want* mass acceptance?
>
> Yes.

I love it when people try to minimize my bandwidth costs by sending short
and precise answers...

Seriously: How do you imagine it? Throw out the shell and make a GUI only
thing? Will the masses out there ever use an OS where you have to type
something like "find / \! -newer report.tex"? I'm not saying that X or KDE
should not be used, but, as is well known, all GUIs mainly harm
flexibility of a system.

FreeBSD is here to be used by anyone out there who wants to - but I don't
think that we should start producing "point-and-click-only" just because
that's obviously easier for the masses (which included a whole lot of not
very experienced users) to use.

The masses can surely come to FreeBSD, but we really shouldn't trade
flexibility and power to make our system attractive to them.

My original statement may have sounded a little strange, but I still think
that we're dealing with an operating system for a more advanced class of
computer users. Everyone can join that advanced class at their free will.
But no one can expect icons and strange comic-creatures in animated
widnows telling them how to use the disklabel command (yes, this is a
reference to this strange help system introduced by MS in Office 97 and
up).

Greetings
Nils

Nils Holland
Ti Systems - FreeBSD in Tiddische, Germany
http://www.tisys.org * nils@tisys.org