Date:      Wed, 27 Jan 1999 11:56:42 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        nesi_unanaowo@net.com (Nesi Unanaowo)
Cc:        billh@finsco.com, nesi@net.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Window manager problem.

Nesi Unanaowo wrote,
> Bill Hamilton wrote:
>
> > vi the .xinitrc in you home directory and make sure it starts fvwm2.
> > I will look at mine tonight.
>
> I am beginning to think that for some obscure reason the
> fvwm2 is not started. I know for sure that my .xinitrc file
> is being read because the xterms and the xclock referenced
> are started when X is started.
> The command that starts fvwm2 has the format: exec fvwm2
> but when I searched the system for the "exec" command it came
> up blank. It seems as if there in  no "exec" command on my system
> which is rather strange. Might this be the problem?
> Thanks in advance for any pointers.

'exec' is a shell builtin. From 'man sh,'

     "exec [command arg ...]
             Unless command is omitted, the shell process is replaced with the
             specified program (which must be a real program, not a shell
             builtin or function).  Any redirections on the exec command are
             marked as permanent, so that they are not undone when the exec
             command finishes."

I am not sure if that is what you need. I still think it would be
easier if you just mailed your .xinitrc to the list. Otherwise, we
just need to make guesses about what you might have in it. For
example, you do start all commands, like xclock and the xterms, which
do not quickly end, in the background, right? Otherwise, you never get
to the end of your .xinitrc where that 'exec' is. But again, with no
.xinitrc, it's just a guess.