Date:      Thu, 23 Oct 1997 16:43:52 +0930
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Gary T. Corcoran" <garycorc@idt.net>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Patches from -current for -stable I'd like to commit after testing

> > Sure.  Doesn't help though.  8(  Allocating IRQ 11 to the pcic actually
> > seems harmless; we still get card insertion/removal interrupts, so it
> > must be working.
> When I had my PCCARD woes yesterday due to a mis-allocated IRQ in my kernel
> config, I too seemed to get the insertion/removal interrupts (in 2.2.5),
> but got the "driver allocation failed for..." message in that setup.
>
> Once I corrected the situation of having another device on the same IRQ
> as the ethernet pc-card, then things started working.  Of course you're
> running different code than I am, but was just wondering if that message
> might be due to the same symptom of an IRQ conflict?

Could be.  However I pulled it back to IRQ 3 and it still failed, so in
this case I don't think it was.

> I don't know which Toshiba notebook you have Mike, but if it's anything
> like mine, IRQ 11 is dedicated as the "PCI" interrupt, and has about 3-4
> things hung on it - Infrared ports, USB ports, and, hey(?) Win95 assigns
> the "Toshiba ToPIC97 CardBus Controller"s to IRQ 11 also
> (the 3C589D gets to use IRQ 10, the only free IRQ, in both W95 and FreeBSD).

Yeah, same here.  This is a 220CDS; sounds like there's a lot in common
across their range. 8)

> Don't know if any of this will help the two of you resolve how to
> automatically assign things, but thought I'd pass it along just in case...

It's kinda odd; I don't actually see much PCI action in this guy at all:

Probing for devices on PCI bus 0:
chip0: <Host to PCI bridge (vendor=1179 device=0601)> rev 0x23 on pci0.0.0
vga0: <VGA-compatible display device> rev 0xc2 on pci0.4.0

Now, I may have disabled some stuff using Tsetup (why don't they have a
BIOS setup like everyone else?), but I'd have expected to see more
stuff than that.  Certainly nothing claiming any interrupts.

I'll have to see what W95 thinks; more data later.

mike