Date:      Fri, 10 Aug 2012 12:31:39 +0400
From:      "Andrey V. Elsukov" <ae@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Lawrence Stewart <lstewart@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-fs@freebsd.org" <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>, Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: gpart rewrites pmbr in a way which breaks Win 7 EFI bootloader

--------------enig6C303CBB45C369C8A550008C

On 10.08.2012 6:13, Lawrence Stewart wrote:
>> What about the following: We have the kernel keep track of the firmwar=
>> used. On x86 this is either BIOS or UEFI in the common case. Other F/W=

>> implementations like U-Boot, OFW, etc are possible as well, especially=

>> on non-x86 machines.
>>
>> The geom_part scheme uses this information to determine how to behave
>> with respect to the PMBR. When booted with BIOS, non-standard stuff is=

>> accepted by virtue of what we've seen in the field. With UEFI we can
>> start off being anal (read: strictly compliant) and extend out based
>> on what we run into.
>>
>> In particular: this way we also don't mess up the EFI/GPT support that=

>> is there on ia64.
>>
>> Thoughts?

It seems this is not enough. The problem, that Lawrence has, is not
related to BIOS/UEFI. Automatic detection of various standard violation i=
handy for our users, but sometimes false positives occur.

To solve all problems it seems we need to introduce several quirks, e.g.:=

#define GPT_QUIRK_BOOTCAMP      0x0001  /* boot camp supported */
#define GPT_QUIRK_MSLOADER      0x0002  /* don't set Active flag to the P=
MBR entry */
#define GPT_QUIRK_IGNOREPMBR    0x0004	/* don't require PMBR entry */

The same quirks should be added to the loader(8).

--=20
WBR, Andrey V. Elsukov