Date:      Thu, 24 Dec 1998 08:40:50 -0500
From:      "George M. Ellenburg" <gmelists@caffeine.sundial.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Serial Port Speeds

Seasons Greetings,

	I am using a Compaq DeskPro 4000 Computer, with an add-on serial card with
16550A UARTs.  The Compaq has embedded serial ports, but they are only have
16450 UARTs.  These embedded serial ports have been disabled in the
computer's bios.
	When FreeBSD boots (3.0-RELEASE), dmesg reports that sio0 and sio1 are
both "16550A" ports.  However, I can not appear to be able to set my port
speeds greater than 57600.  Doing so, and I can not talk to my modem
(BitSurfr Pro).
	I've tried recompiling the kernel, and implicitly specifying "flags
0x20000" on each sio line in the kernel configuration file.
	Using that kernel, when FreeBSD boots, dmesg reports the UARTs as being
"ST16550A" as opposed to just "16550A" using the GENERIC entries.
	There's already a device entry for /dev/cuaa0 (which ppp uses).  Do I need
to delete that dev entry, or sio* and remake them using MAKEDEV after I've
rebuilt the kernel?
	Any pointers or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Kinda hard to
connect at 128kbps when your pipe only supports 57.6. ;-)

	Happy Holidays,

		George Ellenburg