Date:      Tue, 09 Jul 2002 10:34:12 -0400
From:      "Brian J. McGovern" <bmcgover@cisco.com>
To:        "Corey Snow" <corey@snowpoint.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE:  X Windows question

 > I have a FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE box, with which I'd like to tinker with
 > X. However, I don't want to use the box itself for viewing, but a
 > Windows X Server (Cygwin with XFree86).
 >
 > Do I have to install the entire XFree system, or can I just install
 > an X window manager and be done with it? I'm not sure how to get
 > started. If I just wanted to use the FreeBSD box itself for display
 > as well as running programs, this would be easy.
 >
 > Thanks for any assistance,
 >
 > Corey Snow

On the FreeBSD side, it should be as easy as setting DISPLAY to the Windows
box, and then running the application.

On the windows side, you may need some extra effort to set up authentication
and the like. I think, overall, it took me about 40 seconds to get things
working, but I have a decade of experience using X, and know what all the
errors mean.

O'Reilly & Associates has an excellent set on X, and you'll want volume 3 and
8 (User's Guide and Administrators Guide). I picked my set up for about $15(US)
per book, back when rumor had it they were going to stop printing them, and
the bookstores were unloading them. Then, prices shot back up, I assume because
ORA decided they were still in demand. Prices after that have been between $30
and $50 per book (US), but worth every penny.

	-Brian