Date:      Fri, 19 Dec 1997 09:21:47 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jonathan Fosburgh <jef53313@Bayou.UH.EDU>
To:        Sal <sal@dancinman.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: machine freezes up

> I am running FreeBSD and Apache (the latest stable versions of each) on a
> Pentium 166 clone with 32 mb of RAM and a 6.5 gb hard drive.  It has a
> 3Com EtherLink III ethernet card to connect it via my hub to a Cisco 1005
> router which in turn hooks to an Adtran 56/64 CSU/DSU which connects it to
> the world via a 56k Frame-Relay connection.
>
> Every time I leave the machine alone for more than about an hour, it
> freezes up and does not respond to pings, keyboard input, or anything
> else.  What can I do to prevent it from doing this?
This is a problem I had with 2.2.5R.  I upgraded to the December 14
snapshot of 2.2 and now it has been up almost 3 and a half days for the
first time in ages.  If there was an inheren problem in 2.2.5, it
*appears* to be fixed. (Note, as of the December 11 snapshot, I still had
this problem) I

> Also, the clock is set to something WAY off -- nowhere near local *or*
> Greenwich Mean Time.  How do I reset the clock to the right time?
While on your network you can use ntpdate.  This will check with the clock
servers you specify. A few that I use are www.freebsd.org, www.uh.edu,
and clock.psu.edu.  Apparently it does not matter if they are in the same
timezone as you.

Jonathan Fosburgh, wotan@scientist.com , University of Houston Geophysics
http://www.geocities.com/vienna/1498

FreeBSD: Turning PCs into Workstations
http://www.freebsd.org
                     We shall not cease from exploration,
                And the end of our exploring shall be to arrive
            Where we started from, and know the place for the first time.
                       --T.S. Eliot, The Four Quartets