Date:      Mon, 17 Jan 2000 23:03:08 +0000
From:      Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
To:        Adam Serediuk <vipw@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SB AWE64 GOLD in FreeBSD 3.3-RELESAE producing a lot of static

Adam

> Hi, at the risk of sounding like a moron I decided to post this.

All questions are welcome on this mailing list.

I'm sure the proper sound experts will reply, but my first
though is that the card may have things like the
line in, mic in, or PC speaker in volumes up too high.

The static you are hearing is static from say the line-in.

If you use the mixer command, and turn down these
inputs, you may get rid of the static.

> I had to downgrade back to -RELEASE because some things would
> not work properly for me in -CURRENT.

What was not working in -CURRENT?
I'd like to know, incase it is something I can help fix before
FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE comes out (which is in a few weeks time)

Roger
--
Roger Hardiman
Strathclyde Uni Telepresence Research Group, Glasgow, Scotland.