Date:      Tue, 05 May 2009 00:07:13 +0300
From:      Manolis Kiagias <sonic2000gr@gmail.com>
To:        Torfinn Ingolfsen <torfinn.ingolfsen@broadpark.no>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RELENG_7 - has mergemaster changed logic since 7.2-RELEASE?

Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
> Ok, this is strange.
>
> I just upgraded from 7.2-prerelease (as of 20090401) to 7.2-stable as
> of today, using csup and building world.
>
> As part of that process I did (as I always do) 'mergemaster -iU' after
> the 'make installworld' step.
> A few files on my machines are modified by me, and thus should nevber
> be upgraded:
> /etc/dhclient.conf
> /etc/motd (mergemeaster will usually ask about this - this time it did
> not, it claimed it wasn't user modified, huh?)
> /etc/profile
> /root/.profile
> /etc/passwd (mergemaster sked about it, I pressed 'd', but it was still
> upgraded, ugh!)
> /etc/group (mergemaster sked about it, I pressed 'd', but it was still
> upgraded, ugh!)
>
> It can be more files, I haven't found out yet.
>
> Has anyone else seen this?
>
> I am upgrading my next machine, this time I'll have backups and keep
> better notes.

I always use -iU too.
I've lost motd, passwd, group and master.passwd
During mergemaster -p I was asked to merge changes to some of these, and
still they were replaced with the newer versions. I don't know what went
wrong but have restored them from backup. (I always tar /etc before a
source upgrade). Upgrading another system using freebsd-update did not
cause any problem.