Date:      Thu, 05 Mar 2009 07:19:07 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Kurt Buff <kurt.buff@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, "Vasadi I. Claudiu Florin" <claudiu.vasadi@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: the "yes" comand

--------------enig47C097CCBBFC87EBE8240730

Kurt Buff wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 16:06, Vasadi I. Claudiu Florin
> <claudiu.vasadi@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Well , I noticed that, but it's a bit odd now isn't it. I mean, what's=
 the
>> sense of having some darn letter printer out forever ? I found it kind=
 of
>> silly If you ask me.
>=20
> But, incredibly useful if you actually write shell scripts - many
> programs want a 'y' for input from the stdin, and this will do that
> for you.

Here's an example.  When upgrading FreeBSD, especially over a large delta=

in version numbers, you will frequently need to delete old files etc. tha=
are no longer part of the base system.  You are provided with a mechanism=

to do that, viz:

   # cd /usr/src
   # make check-old=20
      {prints out all old files, directories and libraries to be deleted}=

   # make delete-old
      {prompts you to delete anything apart from shlibs which it won't to=
uch}

However 'make delete-old' will ask you whether you want to delete each
and every individual file, which is tedious.  If you decide from your
inspection of the 'make check-old' output that you don't want any of the
old files, you can just run:

   # yes | make delete-old

Job done.

	Cheers,