Date:      Sun, 2 Nov 1997 20:31:34 +0000 ()
From:      Bill Beavers <bbeavers@Moonraker.afsc.k12.ar.us>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   server crashing

I think that I have narrowed down my server just randomly crashing. It
appears to be related either to a pppd process or a tty process.  When
any user dials-in to the server, after a few minutes (and usually it
seems when they disconnect) the following messages appear on the console
screen...

bobcats2 pppd[277]:  ioctl (PPPIOCGGLAGS):  Inappropriate ioctl for device
bobcats2 pppd[277] ioctl(PPPIOCSASYNCMAP):  Inappropriate ioctl for device
bobcats2 pppd[277] ioctl(TIOCSETD):  Inappropriate ioctl for device

These message will usually result in the server crashing in just a few
more minutes, or locking up, or displaying either a...

Page fault error
or a
Fatal Trap 12 error while in kernel mode

Can anyone shed ANY light on what any of these message mean?  Is page
fault memory related as on a pc, or is this something else? Do any of you
think that upgrading to 2.2.5 will have any effect on these problems, or
will I just be introducing new ones?  I am really getting frustrated and
confused about just what to do to get these people back online.

. Bill Beavers, Technology Coordinator .
. Arch Ford Education Coop             .
. bbeavers@moonraker.afsc.k12.ar.us    .
. http://moonraker.afsc.k12.ar.us      .