Date:      Sat, 05 Dec 1998 22:55:36 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>, wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New drivers and install floppy space

> > At the moment, the current exploratory strategy is the split kern.flp/
> > mfsroot.gz arrangement.  It's probably going to make more sense just to
> > have them as two floppy images for distribution purposes.
>
> If the mfsroot image is a UFS filesystem containing an mfsroot.gz
> file, I'm all for it.  I just don't want to lose our newfound ability
> to say: "There's really nothing special about building MicroFreeBSD
> systems for installation or any other purpose anymore - just take any
> kernel with MFS_ROOT turned on and any gzip'd UFS filesystem for its
> root and Bob's yer uncle!"

It shouldn't really require MFS_ROOT turned on (the foo_ROOT options
are IMO bogus); it should always be checking for an mfs_root type
object.  But no, the mfsroot image should indeed be either a UFS
filesystem or a FAT filesystem (the latter would make adding extra
drivers to the disk easier).

> Hmmmmm.  For that matter, we could make sure that the mfsroot was also
> a bootable floppy image with a /boot/boot.4th file on it which said:
>
>        : yell 7 emit ." NO, BOOT THE OTHER FLOPPY, YOU KNOB!" cr ;
>
>        yell
>        key drop
>        reset
>
> Or something to that effect. :-)

That's an excellent argument for making it a UFS floppy, yes.  Either
that, or ask Robert for a bootsector that says the same thing...