Date:      Wed, 18 Oct 2000 18:39:46 -0300 (ADT)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Nathan Vidican <webmaster@wmptl.com>
Cc:        James A Wilde <james.wilde@telia.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, privat-mc@gmx.de
Subject:   Re: Windows takes up less memory than Unix Was: (no subject)

On Wed, 18 Oct 2000, Nathan Vidican wrote:

> James A Wilde wrote:
> >
> > My limited experience indicates that Unix is much more damanding of the
> > hardware than, say, Windows.
> >
> > You may have 192 Mb ram, but if 64 Mb of it is shaky from the Unix point of
> > view you can get signal 11 and still be able to run Windows with just the
> > occasional GPF, which makes you curse and reboot.  Try taking out your RAM
> > chips one at a time and see how you get on.  If you find that install
> > continues when, say, chip 2 is removed, try and sell that one to a Windows
> > user and get yourself a new one.
> >
> > If I'm on the wrong track, hopefully someone will come in on this thread and
> > correct me.
> >
> > mvh/regards
> >
> > James

Read what he posted ... Unix *is* more demanding of its resources then
Windows ... he didn't say its a resource hog.

Unix, if there is a problem with RAM, will let you know it in
not-so-subtle ways, like SegFaults ... Windows, on the same hardware,
seems to be more robust, with the occasional GPFs ...

Personally, I'd rather an OS that tells me I have a problem and forces me
to fix it, but Unix is still more demanding ...