Date:      Wed, 12 Apr 2000 23:16:27 +0100
From:      Stuart Henderson <sh@octarine.org>
To:        James Wyatt <jwyatt@rwsystems.net>
Cc:        Stuart Henderson <stuart@eclipse.net.uk>, Mitch Vincent <mitch@venux.net>, "Lester A. Mesa" <netadmin@primex.prontel.net>, <isp@freebsd.org>, <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How many Virtual Hosts?

Quoting James Wyatt <jwyatt@rwsystems.net>:

> You don't *have* to bind each virtual
> host under Apache, it's just that
> some browsers and crawlers don't like
> it. - Jy@

It's not necessary to bind to each virtual interface individually, you can bind to 0.0.0.0
and look at the request to see the destination IP (as opposed to software virtual hosting
using the Host: header).

The worst problems with using the Host: header for mass hosting are related to errors in
some IE versions. I've seen a few requests with the domain name missing a few
components from the end (www.foo rather than www.foo.co.uk), and also it appears that
in some cases, HTTP redirection causes it to send the original hostname rather than the
new hostname specified in the Location: header (this happens with some search
engines: actually I think it maybe dependent on the HTTP result code sent with the
redirect). Also as you say some crawlers don't supply Host:, though this situation is
improving.

There are good open-source alternatives to Apache, however it's common for them to
specialize.