Date:      Wed, 28 Jun 2000 10:24:13 -0400
From:      Nathan Vidican <webmaster@wmptl.com>
To:        "Person, Roderick" <personrp@ccbh.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Advice on Hardware Type Stuff...

"Person, Roderick" wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I'm about to build my third FBSD box. I will contain only FBSD and be for my
> home use. I would like to do the follow, but instead of my usually MO of do
> first ask later, I'd thought I'd ask first.
>
> So, I have a dual boot FBSD/Win for the family. FBSD is on a HD all by it's
> self. In this machine it's the second HD. I would like to take it out and
> make it the primary drive of my new machine(being that it already has all my
> data and stuff I would could if I start a fresh install on the new machine).
> Has anyone done this, is there alot of headache in this. My only concern is
> the bootsector not working.
>
> Also, any one using the ATI all in one video card, I'm really interested in
> the TV tuner capabilities with FBSD. I'm thinking of getting one for the new
> box. Any Suggestions?
>
> TIA
>
> Roderick P. Person
> Programmer/Analyst
> Crystal Administrator
> personrp@ccbh.com
> (412)454-2616
>
>                 Education is not a substitute for Intelligence.
>                 - Dune: Chapterhouse

I am currently using an ATI All-in-Wonder Pro 8meg PCI card, under
FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE. As far as I know, there is no support for the TV
Tuner functionality built into FreeBSD. There is however some linux code
out there that I was messing around with at one time to be able to use
it; as far as I know that projects still being worked on. -It's a
software player, not a kernel-level thing so I assume it could be
carried over to FreeBSD and re-compiled without too much of a headache.
	As far as moving that HD goes, you'll need to do two things; change
/etc/fstab to make wd1/ad1 = wd0/ad0 (respectfully), and assure that
there are entries for those associated slices in /dev.

--
Nathan Vidican
webmaster@wmptl.com