Date:      Wed, 19 Sep 2001 15:31:16 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        Paul Robinson <paul@akita.co.uk>
Cc:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu, Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, Stephen Hurd <deuce@lordlegacy.org>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Helping victims of terror

On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 10:04:07PM +0100, Paul Robinson wrote:
> On Sep 19, "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> > I loathe to join the thread, but this is so-o way off base.
>
> I was in this thread early on, and left because I didn't really feel
> comfortable here with my pseudo-pacifist tendancies. However, here I come
> back again. And to think - this is *freebsd*-chat... :-)
>
> > Now, as to why no new nuclear plants have been built in the past few
> > decades is a whole separate issue. Economics, regulation, and public
> > fear of accidents have prevented this. However, the idea that the US
> > public feels guilty about using fission weapons against Japan is
> > completely unfounded.
>
> You've actually kind of contradicted yourself there. In the 1940 and even
> 1950s (post-Hiroshima) nuclear power seems to have been seen as the future
> of mankind - although I'm too young to have witnessed what went on there at
> the time, I've even seen some of those 'homes of the future' films made back
> then that seemed to suggest that by around now every home would have it's
> own nuclear power source. This didn't happen for one primary reason -
> nuclear power was equated with nuclear war.

I would say the primary reason is that the technology for small
nuclear plants has never been economically realistic. Of course,
the low expectation of consumer acceptance does not help research into
making them so.

I don't see where I contradicted myself. In the last few decades, from
the 70's on, nuclear power has ground to a complete halt in the US
after much excitement (and fear) in the 40's, 50's, and 60's.

> > I am wondering what type of hazardous chemical wastes from coal
> > cumbustion you are speaking of.
>
> Google for hazardous wastes of coal combustion (note the difference in
> spelling to the one you use) and see what you get. Coal combustion is
> considered by the US Government (or rather EPA) as non-hazardous, but
> contains toxic metals that get land-filled - arsenic, cadmium, chromium,
> lead and mercury all feature in the lists I've seen.

Ah. Trace metals that happen to be there in the minerals. When I think
coal combustion, I think about the actual products of combustion going
up the stack. The bulk is water and carbon dioxide. The pollutants of
primary concern in the off gasses are SOx's and NOx's (the old acid
rain culprits). Getting particulates, which most of the trace metals
will be (possibly exculding mercury of course), out of the stack is
considered the easy part.

Anyway, you are going to get that same bunch of metals and others, in
higher quantities actually, when you process uranium ore. You need to
do something with the uranium tailings and other processing wastes and
you need to dispose of the coal ashes, which all have concentrations of
these metals higher than the usual background level.

> What I would rather have is properly managed nuclear power, or even better
> would be cost-effective solar, wind or wave power, perhaps with some more
> effcient electronics in the world too.

Don't worry. All of those technologies will some day become cost
effective when the cost of fossil fuels starts to pass them. As to how
far away that is, it depends a whole lot on who you ask.

> > As a chemical engineer, I could delve into how grossly
> > disproportionate the fears of these things are as opposed to the real
> > risks (the common irrational fears of crime and terrorism got nothing
> > on these), but I'll spare you all.
>
> If you're a chemical engineer, I'm suprised you aren't aware of the
> by-products of coal combustion.

They are not really by-products since they are all there in the coal
when you start. It's just that they are also left over when you are
done whereas most of the carbon, which is the bulk of the mass, has
gone up the stack. The metals are left in a more concentrated form.
The same thing happens if you burn a _lot_ of anything, oil, wood,
garbage, etc. (natural gas being an exception for obvious reasons).

Anyway, building landfills is for the environmental and civil
engineers to worry about. ;)