Date:      Mon, 4 Feb 2013 23:28:53 +0200
From:      Alexandr Kovalenko <never@nevermind.kiev.ua>
To:        Fabian Wenk <fabian@wenks.ch>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org, freebsd-hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Full-Disclosure posting "FreeBSD 9.1 ftpd Remote Denial of Service"

On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 6:27 PM, Fabian Wenk <fabian@wenks.ch> wrote:
> A few days ago there was the posting "FreeBSD 9.1 ftpd Remote Denial of
> Service" [1] on the Full-Disclosure mailing list. Is this a known issue to
> the FreeBSD community?
>
>   [1]
> http://lists.grok.org.uk/pipermail/full-disclosure/2013-February/089583.html
>
> There are also many ftp.*.freebsd.org mirrors listed in the above mention
> posting, so I also put freebsd-hubs@ into the recipient list. This will
> probably help, that ftp mirror operators are alerted and can take any action
> if needed.

I can confirm this is an issue on stable/9 r245742. Though I hardly
can call it DoS as normally ftp account is running with well-defined
ulimits and proper ftpd usage pattern does not generate much CPU
usage, so you can keep limits pretty much low, thus not being affected
by so-called "DoS".

Nevertheless any ideas on how to fix our glob(3)?

Regards,
Alexandr.