Date:      Thu, 28 Jan 1999 17:29:41 +1100 (EST)
From:      John Birrell  <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        jb@cimlogic.com.au, nate@mt.sri.com, archie@whistle.com, wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: btokup() macro in sys/malloc.h

Nate Williams wrote:
> > Fixing warnings with bad casts is a problem, sure, but asking people
> > to write code without casts (if possible) that will compile cleanly with
> > -Wall is a reasonable thing to ask IMO.
>
> Agreed.  But most of the new code written does indeed compile with
> -Wall.  It's the code we've 'inherited' that doesn't.

OK, so we can review the fixes and improve things for the future.

> > In my experience, the resulting
> > code tends to be more portable across architectures with different
> > pointer/long sizes and endian-ness.
>
> This is where I disagree.  Too often people cast away the bugs and end
> up with overflow and sign problems.

We still have Bruce to review code for inappropriate casts etc. Try and
stop him. 8-)

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137