Date:      Thu, 30 May 2002 19:06:29 -0400
From:      "Peter C. Lai" <sirmoo@cowbert.2y.net>
To:        Dave Raven <dave@raven.za.net>
Cc:        George.Giles@mcmail.vanderbilt.edu, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfw issue with nmap false alarms

Allowing all packets from any to any via lo0 will show
open ports when scanning localhost, since with the above rule
any packet sent from localhost to localhost will be accepted
(which is what nmap is using when scanning localhost).

I believe the above rule also allows packets originating
from your external IP destined for that same IP. Better
to use a different interface to scan the original one.

On Thu, May 30, 2002 at 09:11:49AM +0200, Dave Raven wrote:
> That is the problem, your scanning localhost.
> rather scan an external card.
>

> --Dave.

Peter C. Lai
University of Connecticut
Dept. of Molecular and Cell Biology | Undergraduate Research Assistant
http://cowbert.2y.net/