Date:      Wed, 16 May 2007 20:16:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Wilson <jmw-ny@panix.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   In regard to SATA controllers.

Hello, folks.

I am currently running 6.2-stable on an Intel D965OT mainboard.  I've 4
320gb drives, the first being the boot and system drive, the other 3 are
running in a raid 3 setup via geom_raid3.  All is running well enough.

However, I would like to expand my capacity, but this will then saturate
the available SATA ports on the mainboard, which means I now have to look
for a new controller.

On the "high end" of things (at least for me and my intended application),
I've been looking at the HighPoint 2320 PCI Express card.  True hardware
RAID and native support via. the rr232x driver seems like a nice match.
However, in the event of a controller failure, I'm pretty much screwed
unless I have a spare controller on hand.  Not to mention that if this
controller is not made any longer at the time of failure, well, I don't
really know what my options would be at that point.  Perhaps this is the
bane of RAID controllers in general.  Then again, my experience level in
this sort of application is about nil.

On the flip side, since I've had good luck using the geom architecture for
RAID 3, my other option would be a regular controller and keeping with the
software RAID setup.  At least in this instance, if the controller goes
south, I can just swap it out with another, and continue on without much
hassle.  However, in this instance, I would need a few suggestions as to
which controller would be best.

I've been looking at a few of the lower end HighPoint "software" RAID
controllers as well, such as the HighPoint 2310.  I'm uncertain if there
is native support for this controller.  I do understand that HighPoint
does indeed have drivers available for FreeBSD, but if they are binary
modules, I'd almost want to stay away from it.  I'd much prefer either
native drivers or manufacturer drivers in source form.  However, failing
the above cases, would it be possible to just run this card as a simple
SATA controller and continue using geom_raid3?  This particular card uses
a Marvell controller, so I would guess that it would be detected by
FreeBSD without issue.  If someone could confirm this, it would be much
appreciated.

The function of the machine is simple.  It's a home NAS for 3 other
machines, but also does other light duties as well, so ultimate
performance isn't really that much of an issue.  As things are now,
utilizing geom_raid3, the performance is rather good.

Thanks for your time,
John Wilson.