Date:      Wed, 22 May 2002 20:54:54 -0400
From:      "Morse, Richard E." <REMORSE@PARTNERS.ORG>
To:        'Maildrop' <maildrop@qwest.net>, Benjamin Krueger <benjamin@macguire.net>, Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Networking Buffers

Maildrop [mailto:maildrop@qwest.net] wrote:

>> [ a lot of stuff explaining the problem where every so often, a 4.5 server
>>   will drop off the network. ]

I have this exact same problem.  You can "solve" the symptom by doing a tcpdump.
Since I know next-to-nothing about networking in-depth, my solution is that
every hour or so, I have a cron job run 'tcpdump -c 10'.  This has kept the box
from dropping off the network, at the cost of getting an email every hour.

The box that this is happening on is a backup server, and it will only happen
while the backups are being run, so I suspect that there is some error related
to heavy load on the network.

If anyone _does_ solve this, or can explain it, I'd love to know about it...

Thanks!

Ricky