Date:      Tue, 22 Jan 2013 10:55:48 -0500
From:      Adam McDougall <mcdouga9@egr.msu.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 9.1 - openldap slapd lockups, mutex problems

On 01/22/13 05:19, Kai Gallasch wrote:
> Hi.
>
> (Im am sending this to the "stable" list, because it maybe kernel related.. )
>
> On 9.1-RELEASE I am witnessing lockups of the openldap slapd daemon.
>
> The slapd runs for some days and then hangs, consuming high amounts of CPU.
> In this state slapd can only be restarted by SIGKILL.
>
>   # procstat -kk 71195
>    PID    TID COMM             TDNAME           KSTACK
> 71195 149271 slapd            -                mi_switch+0x186 sleepq_catch_signals+0x2cc sleepq_wait_sig+0x16 _sleep+0x29d do_wait+0x678 __umtx_op_wait+0x68 amd64_syscall+0x546 Xfast_syscall+0xf7

> On UFS2 slapd runs fine, without showing the error.
> Has anyone else running openldap-server on FreeBSD 9.1 inside a jail seen similar problems?

I have seen openldap spin the cpu and even run out of memory to get
killed on some of our test systems running ~9.1-rel with zfs.  No jails.
I'm not sure what would have put load on our test systems other than
nightly scripts.  I had to focus my attention on other servers so I
don't have one to inspect at this point, but I won't be surprised if I
see this in production.  Thanks for the tip about it being ZFS related,
and I'll let you know if I find anything out.  This is mostly a "me too"
reply.