Date:      Tue, 17 Apr 2001 13:13:00 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG, net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: non-random IP IDs

* Rodney W. Grimes <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net> [010417 10:37] wrote:
> > * Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au> [010417 04:29] wrote:

> > > IMHO, extraordinarily large uptimes are nothing to be proud of and
> > > say nothing about the quality of software.
> > >
> > > I'd almost go so far as to say uptimes greater than 1 year indicate
> > > that the system administration practises need review.
> >
> > Agreed.  I've yet to hear about any seriously deployed system
> > go without security advisories for over a year.
>
> Or perhaps this is a very talented system admin who values uptime
> and finds work arounds that don't envolve downing a system that do
> just as good, and sometimes better, than the vendor fix for the
> security issue.
>
> Security Fix != Reboot required.

Well I was the one that asked Jake if he could provide a system
for patching static functions in the kernel.  If you search the
archives there is a patch for doing this.

It's actually quite reasonable to patch code out from under a running
system.  One can replace the entry opcode of the function with a
jump to the patched code.  The only time this becomes a problem is
when structures change, however backporting the fix shouldn't be
a problem.

Represent yourself, show up at BABUG http://www.babug.org/