Date:      Fri, 22 Sep 2000 17:20:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jim Weeks <jim@siteplus.net>
To:        Graham Wheeler <gram@cequrux.com>
Cc:        Antony T Curtis <antony@abacus.co.uk>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Framebuffer driver?

On Fri, 22 Sep 2000, Graham Wheeler wrote:

> On a completely different note, what sort of touch pad do you have, and
> do you have any problems with it? I suspect that I may have faulty
> hardware, but it behaves much worse under UNIX (where I effectively get
> random key clicks) to under Windows (where the worst that happens is the
> cursor occasionally jumping) - although this could be attributed to the
> Windows driver using absolute mode with 6-byte packets which may make
> framing errors easier to detect.

Graham,

You and I have have discussed this before.  I have the Synaptics pad on my
Presario 1200XL and of course have the same problem.

We know that the M$ drivers disable the touchpad when a mouse is connected
and the FreeBSD drivers do not.  I have only recently noticed that when I
have a mouse attached I can use the touchpad with out the erratic
behavior. I know that you have worked extensively on this problem and
probably know the answer to this.  Could the spurious signals be caused by
the lack of termination on the PS2 port?  I have also noticed that if you
boot into M$ with a mouse attached and begin to move the mouse, there is a
delayed reaction.  Does the M$ driver possibly close a gate effectively
terminating the touchpad?

 --
Jim Weeks