Date:      Thu, 26 Aug 1999 10:42:49 +0200 (MEST)
From:      "Niels M. Raijer" <niels@fusix.nl>
To:        Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: boot problem: atapi1.0: unknown phase

On Wed, 25 Aug 1999, Ben Smithurst wrote:

> Niels M. Raijer wrote:
>
> > However, during the boot I have about a 90% chance it seems to get the
> > error "atapi0.1: unknown phase" (or "atapi1.0: unknown phase", depending
> > on whether I connect the CD-ROM to the primary or secondary
> > IDE-interface).
>
> Does it hang when you get to this error? I've had this problem on two

Yes, it hangs completely. I know from experience that *nix machines can
appear to hang, but continue booting after a few minutes, so I just left
it with the error message. After about thirty minutes, nothing had
happened yet ;-) I'd call that a hang.

> the other (a new AMD K6-2 with a 40-speed drive) the system hung at that

That's what I have, too. AMD K6-2/400 with 128 MB, and the CD drive is a
Lite-On LTN382, which seems to be a 40-speed ATAPI player.

> Also, I found putting a CD in the drive seemed to help.. but perhaps
> this was just coincidence, or me imagining it.

That was my experience exactly -- although I think we're both imagining
it. At one point, the machine would boot fine with a CD inside, but I've
found that it doesn't help all the time.

> You don't say what FreeBSD version this is.. You could either update to

Sorry. It's 3.2-STABLE. The CDs are labelled "June 1999".

At this point, as I have a working FreeBSD installation, I have simply
disconnected the CD-ROM and will use NFS from one of the Linux boxes
whenever I need a CD. But I'll follow up on 3.3-STABLE when it's done,
upgrade, and report back ;-)

Thanks for your message.

--Niels

-- =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-* "Wandering far from nowhere
Fusix Networks - http://www.fusix.nl     |  I came across an old man
 - Computercursussen van iMac tot Office |  working alone..."
 - Linux-servers voor Intranet           |  'Something to live for,' GEG
Niels Raijer - http://www.nest.nl/~niels *-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=