Date:      Mon, 3 Feb 2003 18:20:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>, Alexandr Kovalenko <never@nevermind.kiev.ua>, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dillon@'s commit bit: I object

On Mon, 3 Feb 2003, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Feb 2003, Robert Watson wrote:
>
> > reasonable, expected, or acceptable.  Obviously, this is subject to
> > interpretation and debate, but I'd ask that those passing judgement on
> > this action take into account that this was given long and hard
> > consideration, and that it was not a decision taken lightly or without
> > regret.
>
> the thing is, you have on the one side -core that wants him gone, and,
> from what I can see, non-core that doesn't want him gone ... considering
> how much of a beauraucracy this has become, maybe there should be some
> sort of referundum(sp?) on issues like this?  Where the userbase has
> some sort of a say?

Portraying this as "Core vs Dillon" is a gross mis-characterization.  The
Core Team is elected by the FreeBSD developer team as a whole, and exists
to serve a number of roles.  Among them is conflict resolution, in which
developers can seek mediation in solving technical or FreeBSD-related
conflicts between developers.  Core decisions are frequently the outcome
of such mediation, or the outcome of many instances of mediation.  In this
case, it was the outcome of a long series of issues over a long period of
time.  How to involve all stakeholders in conflict resolution is an
interesting question, and one that I think far larger groups than the
FreeBSD Project have struggled in dealing with.

> It just seems that there are some pretty critical issues that are being
> handled, and its hurting both sides of the project ... the userbase by
> the loss of some serious players, and the core themselves by the flames
> thye are getting for the decisions ... :(

Agreed.  Any time you deal with critical issues of this sort, there is the
opportunity for damage.  Unfortunately, the basic premise is that things
are already damaging, or we wouldn't be in the situation in the first
place.  So the task becomes to take the path of least damage, which is a
difficult balancing act.

robert@fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories