Date:      Thu, 18 Mar 1999 06:46:12 +0900
From:      Neill Thornton <neillt@coastalnet.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   CTX Laptop Saga SOLVED!

Well, after screwing with this thing all night, I fixed the problem.....

I swapped out the modem with a friend's Xircom modem.

Everything works great now!  All I can say to CTX users having this stran=
ge
problem is to get a new modem.... I had a cheapie generic card that came =
in an
accton box, but the label looks like a generic box of saltine crackers.. =
it
just says "V.90 MODEM" in big block letters on a white label.  I laughed =
at that
for a long time when I first got it, but the joke turned out to be on me =
:(

I can only guess that this very nice Xircom modem just likes my PCCard
controller and underlying structures better than my generic card.  I set =
the
pccard.conf settings for my accton modem to the exact same settings as th=
Xircom, but it still hangs the machine.  Needless to say, I will be buyin=
g a
Xircom modem when my friend wants his back.

How did I get his modem in the first place, you ask?  I installed freebsd=
 on
his laptop, which he thinks is the best thing since sliced bread.... I ha=
ve to
agree most of the time :-)

As a side note, my cheapie modem didn't work in his toshiba laptop either=
=2E

Anyway, if anyone needs to see my config files, or help with their CTX
machines, just drop a line!

Neill