Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 1996 12:07:44 -0500 (EST)
From:      Dale Benzer <ipc1@tribeca.ios.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Ethernet and BSD

Hi guys,

I'm having trouble getting PCs on my internal network to be able to login
to my BSD server. Here's the setup:

10 PCs running WINPKT and Trumpet. BSD server connected to a hub running
2.1. I can ping the PC from the server, but when I try to log in using
Trumpet, I don't even get a login dialog. I am using 3 Com 3509 cards and
NO NOVELL. I am using my IP address of 208.214.163 and 208.214.163.1 for
the server, 208.214.163.3, 208.214.163.4 etc for the PCs

Questions:

1.) Is trumpet the right product? Can I login using this and then connect
out to the internet through the server?

2.) I read something about "active" and "passive" connections. I assume
the server should be passive. How do I set this as the default seems to
be active? Also do I need to explicitly set up static route tables with
the IP addresses of the PCs? Do I need to manually implement sockets?

Finally, one other issue.
I want to have 2 servers on the network, one for main processing and one
for email/WEB. I used an IP address of 208.214.163.2 for the second
server and even though the two server are identically set up, I can't get a connection on the hub. Is this because
I have set the ethernet card to be a server and you can't have 2 servers?

Thanks very much...

Dale Benzer