Date:      Wed, 01 Jan 2003 11:36:47 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Cliff Sarginson <cls@raggedclown.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bystander shot by a spam filter.

Cliff Sarginson wrote:
> Let's stop kicking Richard Stallman.
> He has his own agenda.
> But GCC is why you can compile FreeBSD.
> Any of you ever tried to write a compiler ?
> I have, it is not easy. And I am a self-professed genius.
> Funny how no-one else recognises that.

Maybe you aren't professing it loud enough?  8-) 8-) 8-O...

Seriously, though, there are a number of possible compilers,
but FreeBSD keeps adding constructs and removing portability,
and, in general, getting more and more GCC dependent, as time
goes on (hmmm... RMS paying pwople off?...).  In any case, a
compiler is almost trivial; what's hard, and takes specialized
knowledge, is optimizing, and code generation, for more than
one CPU family.

RMS' great contribution in this regard is *not* the compiler
itself; what he contributed there is actually a mediocre set
of code, that other people then worked on to turn it into what
it is today.  In fact, he had to eat crow on EGCS to get it to
be only a version successor to GCC, rather than a competing
project.  So RMS's contribution was the project, itself: the
difficulty of writing a compiler is actually irrelevent to the
discussion.

It's amazing to me the number of people who claim to study the
Open Source Software phenomenon, yet don't understand the basic
principles through which it actually functions, well enough to
start, or help start, a project and have it persist.

-- Terry